Knee pain is a common complaint we hear from women of all age groups. Every year, millions of women visit an orthopaedic doctor to take care of their knee pain which would have caused due to osteoarthritis, joint injury, or ruptured ligaments, and torn cartilage. Prope rself-care measures along with the right medication can ease knee pain to a greater extent. Sometimes knee braces, physical therapy, following a few knee exercises with the doctor’s guidance can take care of your knee pain in a healthy way.
There are many types of knee pain, which can take a toll on women’s health and the three most common types that strike women mostly are:
The early stage of knee osteoarthritis
Patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS)
Degenerative meniscal tears
Let’s read through the article and find out the causes, symptoms, and treatment of knee pain in detail.
Symptoms of knee pain:
Based on the location and the severity of the knee pain, the signs and the symptoms include:
- Swelling and stiffness
- Inability to stretch the knee fully
- Weakness or instability
- Crunching noise
What are the causes that can bring knee pain in women?
Many factors like mechanical problems, injuries, and arthritis can cause knee pain in women. Here, we discuss them below:
Injuries: Injuries caused can affect the fluid-filled sacs, ligaments, cartilage, bones, and joints. There are many types of injuries, which can bring pain in the knees and a few of them are discussed below:
- Fractures – Breaking of the kneecap due to falls or collisions.
- Knee bursitis- Causes inflammation in the bursae, which is a small sac-like fluid-filled cavity which helps to avoid or reduce friction caused in the tendons and muscles.
- Anterior cruciate ligament injury (ACL) injury- A tear caused which connects the shinbone to the thigh bone. ACL is mostly seen among sports individuals.
- Torn meniscus – torn meniscus is caused due to sudden twisting of the knee while bearing weight.
Here are a few mechanical problems that can cause knee pain and those include:
- Foot pain or hip pain
- Dislocated kneecap
- Degeneration of bone or cartilage
Arthritis: There are more than 100 types of arthritis known and here are a few which most commonly affects your knee include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Septic arthritis
A few other risk factors that can cause knee pain include:
- Weight gain
- If you have injured your knee previously
- Lack of muscle strength and flexibility
- Stress in the knee due to strenuous sports activity
Diagnosis and treatment:
If you are experiencing severe, unstable knee pain with swelling and redness, consult the doctor immediately. Your doctor may suggest taking a knee MRI to check the cause for the symptoms. The problems may be related to tumours, bone fractures, damaged cartilage, infections, and other range of problems will be noticed from the MRI report. Based on the test report and imaging, your doctor may suggest physical therapies along with the supplements and medicines to ease the symptoms. Order the prescribed medicines from a trusted best online pharmacy and get them delivered at your doorstep.
Tips to ease knee pain:
- Avoid high impact painful exercise to decrease the risk of a knee injury.
- If you are obese or overweight, shed the extra fats with a strict diet and gentle exercise.
- Avoid prolonged sitting and standing in the same posture.
- Use essential oils to reduce stress, redness, stiffness, and pain.
- Try the RICE technique (Rest, Ice, compression, and elevation) to reduce knee pain.
- Include anti-inflammatory foods in your diet to relieve arthritis and other knee pain.
- Take anti-inflammatory medicines on time as prescribed by the doctor to avoid infection and inflammation that occur in your knees. Buy the medicines from any reliable online medicine site and get amazing medicine discounts on every purchase.