Does Insurance Cover Storm Damage?September 7, 2020
Storms can cause extensive damage to a property, even if there’s no flooding. Homeowners are often forced to deal with compromised structures, damaged roofs, water damaged walls, etc. At Flood Services Sydney, we offer comprehensive flood restoration in Sydney and know how to deal with all kinds of storm damage as well. If you want to minimise the harm done to your property, we can help. Our experts can also offer insurance advice and assist with your claims process.
Does Insurance Cover Storm Damage?
There’s no simple answer to this question. Even the most comprehensive homeowners insurance may not cover all of the damage, which is why it is important to check your policy document carefully. Renew the policy every year and pay particular attention to:
- Coverage Limits – Study the coverage limits for different types or causes of damage. This limit specifies how much your insurance company is willing to pay for the damage.
- Deductible – You will have to cover some of the cost before an insurance company steps in. Different policies have different deductibles so consider a policy carefully to determine how much you need to pay out of pocket.
- Exclusions – Every policy has a few exclusions or types of damage your insurance won’t cover. They will be mentioned clearly in the policy document.
Homeowners should so understand what kind of coverage their policy offers. Dwelling coverage will pay for any damage done to a property’s exterior structure like roofs, sidings, gutters, etc. Personal property coverage will pay for structural damage as well as interior issues like water damage or leaks. We recommend speaking with our storm damage expert in Sydney to get a better idea.
Types of Damage Covered
Most insurance policies will cover water, wind, and lightning strike damage. Here’s a look at what these options include:
- Water – Water damage includes leaking roofs and damaged siding or walls. Any damage caused directly by a rainstorm is covered.
- Wind – Torn or blown-off shingles, missing siding panels, damaged caused by falling trees, and broken windows or doors are considered wind damage.
- Lightning – Problems caused by lightning strikes like burns, charring, or cracks on roof tiles and siding is covered. Some policies will also cover damage caused by subsequent power surges, electrical fires, and related issues.
Unless specifically stated otherwise, most policies won’t cover groundwater flooding, tropical storms, hurricanes, landslides, earthquakes, and sinkholes. You may need separate policies for protection against these incidences. People are also denied insurance claims if they fail to carry out repairs within a reasonable timeline. That’s why we encourage homeowners to hire a water restoration expert promptly after the incident happens.
We can access and record everything before compiling a clear report that can help with your claims process. Our experts know how to deal with insurance companies and improve your chances of filing a successful claim.
If you want to know more about our expertise in flood restoration in Sydney or want to book a service, don’t hesitate to call at 02 9167 9435 or contact us. You can book a free assessment today!